Entrepreneurs who want to either start or expand a small business consider many factors that will increase their chances for success. Among them are a friendly small business climate, local regulations, and taxes. Taxes by far are the most important consideration. Based on all these factors, here are the top 10 best cities and states for small businesses.
The ratings were performed by Thumbtack, a consumer service for finding and hiring local professionals. The company, which began in 2009, allows service providers and consumers to connect with each other and negotiate jobs online.
Top 10 best cities
- Colorado Springs, CO - gets an A+ from Thumbtack for overall friendliness to small businesses.
- Boise, ID - rates not only an A+ for overall friendliness to small business but also an A+ for ease of starting a business.
- Houston, TX - rates an A+ for overall small business friendliness, an A+ for zoning and an A- for training and networking programs.
- Austin, TX - gets an A+ for small business friendliness, employment, labor and hiring but an A- in hiring ease.
- Louisville, KY - scores A+ for overall small business friendliness and for zoning, but only gets a B+ for training and networking programs.
- Dallas, TX - another Texas city receives A+ for overall small business friendliness and for their tax code but drops down to a C for networking and training programs.
- Fort Worth, TX - and yet another Texas city scores an A+ for overall small business friendliness and for their tax code, but gets a poor D+ rating for ease of hiring.
- San Antonio, TX - rates A+ for zoning, A for overall small business friendliness, and B+ for ease of hiring.
- Nashville, TN - comes in with an A for overall friendliness to business, but gets only a C for ease of hiring.
- Richmond, VA - gets decent scores of A for small business friendliness, A+ for licensing and B+ for zoning.
Top 10 best states
The states that made the top 10 list are Iowa, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Colorado, Virginia, Utah, Texas and Idaho.
To read more, visit www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2014/07/09/10-Best-Cities-and-States-Small-Business